Language Services • Marketing & Sales • Travel Photography • Travel Writing
Born in a suburb of Vancouver, B.C., Canada, I have a Bachelor's Degree in French and Spanish from the University of British Columbia and a Master of Arts in Translation from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, California. As part of my degree courses, I studied in Quebec City, Valencia, Madrid, and Geneva.
I then moved to Brussels, Belgium and worked at the European Union for four years. I subsequently spent two years as Administrative Director of the International Encyclopaedia of Laws at the Law Faculty of a Dutch-speaking university in Belgium.
Next, I was hired by a multinational conglomerate to work at its headquarters in Hong Kong. Here I created business relationships with the suppliers of logs, lumber and veneer which the company's mills in China and the Philippines were sourcing from French West Africa. I took part as interpreter in many supply contract negotiations and translated African government legal texts and other forestry information from both French and Spanish to English. Later when the company's commercial strategy shifted toward increasing sales overseas, I was responsible for marketing new and innovative wood products manufactured in processing facilities in China and Africa, a service, incidentally, I still continue to provide today as a freelancer.
After spending eight years in Hong Kong, I returned to Vancouver in order to upgrade my skills in interpreting, Italian, Web Publishing and Photography. I left again on a new adventure, this time to work in the Caribbean as International Ambassador for an American cruise line.
In September 2005, after completing a certificate in business management, I opened my own consultancy company in Vancouver, ACFairbank Consulting
, and currently provide services to my international clients in translation, interpreting, editing, writing, proofreading
, website creation and design
, sales and marketing
, travel writing
and travel photography
For the last few years, I have been donating my time and skills as a volunteer translator for Anak
, a children's charity in Bali, Indonesia, Translators without Borders and Ashoka. I was also a volunteer (and paid) website creator and webmaster for Campbell River Search & Rescue
. I have moreover donated my time and and a variety of skills on a number of film projects.
In April 2013, I starting running for exercise and ran my first 5K race in June 2013, followed by my first 10K race in July 2013, my first half marathon in November 2013 and my first (and only so far) full marathon in May 2014.
In November 2014, I became a certified PADI scuba diver (Level 1) in Vancouver, B.C. training in the cold Northern Pacific Ocean in air temperatures of 5 degrees Celsius and water temperatures of about 11 degrees Celsius. I became an Open Water certified (Level 2) diver in February 2015 in somewhat warmer, tropical water of the Caribbean Ocean off the island of Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
My long-term passion, however, is travel. I have visited over 100 countries and write articles and travelogues
while on my journeys, and over the years have built up a large collection of Stock Travel Photography. Some of these photos I have donated to travel magazines and websites as well as to charities.
Ultimately, in 2018, I became a certified translator and therefore now have the right to carry the letters C.T. after my name. I was certified in Spanish to English translation by the Society of Translators and Interpreters of British Columbia (STIBC), Canada in August 2018 and in French to English translation by the American Translators Association in December 2018.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
- A.R.C.T. (Associate of the Royal Conservatory of Toronto), Toronto, Ontario, Piano Performer, 1980
- Bachelor of Arts: French and Spanish, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, 1982
- Master of Arts: Translation, Monterey Institute of International Studies, Monterey, CA, USA, 1990
- Computer Skills for the Workplace Certificate, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2002
- Community Interpreting Certificate - Spanish/English, Vancouver Community College, Continuing Education, Vancouver, BC, 2002
- Web Publishing Certificate, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2003
- Training for Trainers, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2003
- General Business Certificate, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2005
- Small Business Management and Ownership Certificate, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2006
- Photography Certificate, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2006
- B.C. Film Orientation Certificate, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2010
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Certificate (18-hour course), International TEFL Training, Whistler, BC, 2010
- Local Tour Guide Certificate, Canadian Tourism College, Vancouver, BC, 2012
- Professional Sales Certificate, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2012
- Associate Cruise Certificate, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) Cruise Academy and Canadian Tourism College, Vancouver, BC, 2012
- Digital Film Production Certificate, Langara College, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, 2013
- TEFL/TESOL Certification (Teaching English as a Foreign Language/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - 100-hour course), The Canadian College of Linguistics, Vancouver, BC, 2016
- Languages Studied: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Latin, Mandarin, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish
- Association Internationale des Interprètes de Conférence
- Know Your Worth: Understanding Marketing and Negotiating for Interpreters, Washington DC, 2018
- Canadian Tourism College, Surrey and Vancouver, BC, Canada
- First Nations Cultural Tourism Seminar, 2011
- Standard First Aid Certification valid for three years, including CPR for Adults, Children & Infants, Emergency First Aid and AED, 2011
- WorldHost Fundamentals - Face to Face certificate from Tourism British Columbia, 2012
- Cruise Lines International Association, Inc.
- Cruise Vacations: An Introduction
- Principles of Professional Selling
- Power Selling Techniques
- Psychology of Selling
- Cruise Geography - Knowing the World you Sell
- Travel for All: How to Find, Sell & Market Accessible Travel
- Effective Presentation Skills
- Group Sales Made Easy
- 40 Best Practices for Travel Agent Success
- Capilano University, North Vancouver, BC, Canada
- How to Travel above your Means without Paying for it, 2012
- Home Exchanges, 2012
- Chamber of Commerce, Brussels, Belgium
- Emily Carr University of Art and Design, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Advanced Digital Photography, 2007
- The Business of Art Practice, 2007
- Copyright Law for Artists, 2007
- Photoshop for Photographers, 2007
- Writing for Design, 2007
- Adobe Indesign: The Basics, 2008
- Focal Point - The Visual Arts Learning Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Digital Panoramic 360-degree Photography, 2005
- Travel Photography: The Vancouver Book, 2007
- Child Portraiture, 2009
- Wedding Photography, 2009
- Interpreter's Lab, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Interpreter professional development program: Do I or Don't I? Moral and Ethical Decision Making in Complex Care (4 hours), June 2018
- Interpreting in Legal Settings – Theory (30 hours), September 2018
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculty of Arts, Antwerp, Belgium
- 2nd Summer School in Translation Technology (4 ECTS (European Credit Points), 2017
- Collaborative translation with Memsource
- Introduction to SDL Trados Studio 2017 for beginners
- SDL Trados Studio 2017 for advanced
- Introduction to memoQ for beginners
- memoQ for the curious translator - advanced
- Introduction to software localisation
- Introduction to website localisation and multilingual SEO translation
- Teaching translation technologies: project-based approaches, challenges and best practices
- Making the most out of automatic speech recognition (ASR)
- Terminology in translation
- PADI - Professional Association of Diving Instructors - Vancouver Diving Locker, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- PADI Scuba Diver, 2014
- PADI Open Water Diver, 2015
- PHSA - Provincial Health Services Authority, Burnaby, BC, Canada
- Health Care Interpreter Training Program, March, 2018
- IPACE for Interpreters, October 2018
- Simon Fraser University Summer Publishing Workshops, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Copyediting and Proofreading, 2003
- PDFs A-Z, 2003
- Quark Xpress, 2003
- Blogging: The Basics and Beyond, 2009
- Marketing Through Social Media, 2009
- Translators Without Borders, USA
- Introduction to Humanitarian Translation Certificate course, 2018
- University of British Columbia, Continuing Studies, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Intensive Mandarin, 1993
- Flash, Level 2, 2003
- Intensive Italian, Advanced II Level, 2003
- Vancouver Photo Workshops, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- VPW Seminar Event, January 2012
- VPW Seminar Event, September 2012
- Adobe Lightroom Retouching, October 2012
- Adobe Lightroom Workflow, November 2012
- The Ultimate Urban Travel Photo Workshop, May 2016
- Vancouver School Board, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Flash, 2003
- How to Earn Money as a Speaker, 2005
- Portuguese, Level 1, 2007
- Portuguese, Level 2, 2007
- How to Write and Publish Your Own Book in 40 Days, 2009
- Travel with a Thumb/USB Flash Drive/iPod, 2009
- Travel Writing, 2009
- Video: Creating Your Own For Home or Business, 2011
- Web Marketing and SEO (search engine optimization), including website accessibility and usability, website information architecture, website monetization methods, affiliate marketing, monitoring website activities, Google tools, such as AdWords, AdSense, Analytics, etc., creating a blog, generating traffic to your website, e-commerce, online payment methods, adding a shopping cart to your website, and inserting PayPal button, 2012
- Langara College, Vancouver, BC, Canada, March 2005
- Adventures in Travel Expo, Chicago, Illinois, USA, January 2006
- Adventures in Travel Expo, New York, New York, USA, January 2007
- Focal Point, Vancouver, BC, Canada, June 2007
- Exposure Gallery, “Winter Salon,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, December 2007
- Exposure Gallery, “Vancouver,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, January 2008
- Exposure Gallery, “Performance,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, February 2008
- Exposure Gallery, “Constructed Reality,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, March 2008
- Exposure Gallery, “Summer Salon,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, June 2008
- Adventures in Travel Expo, Seattle, Washington, USA, September 2008
- Exposure Gallery, “The Travelling Eye,” Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 2008
- Musée Juste Pour Rire, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, CAPIC Montréal 2009 Expo in conjunction with World Press Photo, 4 September - 4 October 2009
Organisations, companies or websites to which I have authorised free use of some of my images
- ACFairbank Consulting
- Adventure Engine
- African Travel Association Magazine
- Blacktail Enterprises
- Canadian Music Center
- Ethiopian Airlines
- Ethiopian Millennium website
- Exposure Gallery
- Fairbank Music
- Greenland Tours
- InfoHub Specialty Travel Guide
- The African Foundation
- The Washington Panafrican
- Travel World News
- Vicwood Group
- Viva Choirs
- Women's World Day of Prayer
Magazines that have published my images
- African Travel Magazine - Ethiopia Millennium Edition 2008, pages 6 and 7 (two-page spread).
- Travel World News - Section 4: Profitable World of Niche Markets Pull-Out Supplement, December 2007, page 12.
- Women's World Day of Prayer - “Together in Prayer” 2010 - Cameroon, pages 16, 17, 20 and 29.
- Ethiopia Through the Eyes of a Photographer, August 2007, Second Printing November 2007.
- Vancouver The Photographic Guidebook - Focal Point Summer 2007 (Group project with 4 other photographers), August 2007.
- Vancouver Through the Eyes of a Photographer, September 2007.
- Chinese Wedding Through the Eyes of a Photographer, October 2007.
- Vicwood Group Through the Eyes of a Photographer, October 2007, Second Printing January 2008, Second Edition, April 2014.
- Portfolio, November 2007.
- The Caribbean Through the Eyes of a Photographer, May 2008.
- Class of 1978, Crofton House School - 30 Years On, May 2008.
- 2009 Calendar, with images from Guatemala, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Argentina, November 2008
- 2010 Calendar, with images from French Polynesia, Peru, Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia and Quebec, December 2009.
- 2011 Calendar, with images from the Pantanal, Cuiabá and Chapada dos Guimarães, Brazil, October 2010.
- Rasa, a short film directed by Francis Fee, written by Ignacio de Freyre and produced by Laura Hope, Frances Fee and Ignacio de Freyre. Stills Photographer, June 2009.
- Presidente Pride - This City's Colours, a music video. Director and Camera Operator, August 2009 - “Angela, I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work on Presidente Pride - This City's Colours. I'm sure proud of it, and so pleased with all of you for working hard and working together to come up with such a great finished product! Awesome job!” - Matthew Presidente, Musician, singer and songwriter, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Matthew Presidente - “This City's Colours,” a music video. Director, Camera Operator and Post Production, November 2009.
- Tupper Secondary Arts Week, aired on Shaw video and W2. Technical Consultant, May 2010.
- Matthew Presidente - “Rainbow Reaction,” a music video. Assistant Director, Sound, B-roll Videographer, Lighting and Extra Actor, November 2010.
- Matthew Presidente - “Natural Heart / Valentine's Day,” a music video. Lighting and Sound, February 2011.
- The Shed, a short film by Ali Hassan. Lighting and Sound, November 2011.
- Hooked Up, a short film by BTGWTV Productions. Lighting and Sound, December 2011. “Angela,...when you hear the crisp audio you will be proud - even in windy conditions or with failing batteries...Your extra grip hands made set life so much easier and efficient.” Stephen Emery, Director and Scriptwriter, Vancouver, BC, Canada. This short is included in a DVD package of videos by Matthew Presidente.
- Vicky, Christina, Barcelona, an Emily Carr student project, Director, Jonathan Tammuz. Extra and Stand-in, February 2012.
- Brolly Wars, a series teaser by Writer and Director, Stephen Emery. Sound, Lens changer, PA, April 2012.
- Wiggle 18 (2012) for House of Venus. Camera, April 2012.
- Royal Lepage Comox Valley Snow to Surf Adventure Relay Event, 29 April 2012, a documentary film. Producer, Director, Editor, Camera Operator, Titling Designer, Stills Photographer, Sound Editor, April 2012.
- Mind Over Mountain Adventure Race, 2 June 2012 in Burnaby, BC, Canada, a short documentary. Producer, Director, Editor, Camera Operator, Titling Designer, Sound Editor, Stills Photographer, June 2012.
- Vaudeville Varieties, a promotional short film, about the Burnaby Village Museum. Camera Operator, July 2012.
- The Mary Contest, a short film by Writer and Director, Teresa McGee. See trailer. Stills Photographer, October 2012.
- Reality, a series pilot in HDR, produced by Joe Jacobs Gilchrist and directed by Stephen Emery. Sound, February 2013.
Website © Angela Fairbank 2005-2019.
This page was last modified on 1 January 2019.